Friday, January 30, 2009

Happy Dance Time

So I wanted to share two things. One: my application is officially submitted to the Graduate School and I handed in my CD of images and text documents to the secretary at the art department. *Happy Dance* Here is another one of my pieces that I submitted in my portfolio. The head of this poor birdie fell off but I was able to glue it back on for the shot before it fell off again. Adam spent several minutes trying to get the bow just perfect and the birdie going the correct direction. I am glad that he has his obsessive complusive behaviors sometimes, especially when it comes to my art.

Two: After who knows how many sketches and ideas, I finally figured out what I am going to do for my wearable art project that will not kill me over the next week and a half. I am going to make the dress on the Vogue Pattern on the far right. I love that dress and how it has a pointed train like a bird tail. I am going to use inspiration from the black Beth Teshome dress named Raven. I love how the entire skirt is covered in fabric feathers. I am going to use similar fabric feathers on the train of my dress to emphasize the bird tail idea. The colors I am using are based off of a bluebird. I am dying raw silk in a deep national blue for the outside of the dress. I am dying silk habotai, which is so smooth and wonderful against your skin, a golden yellow for the lining. I am not sure if I am going to use the silk habotai or silk organdy in the national blue for the feathers. I am going to have to do some tests. I am really excited that I will have a handmade, 100% silk dress, that will fit me perfectly, even if I do not currently have a place to wear it. I hope it turns out as beautiful as it looks in my head. I still have some reservations about how much time the feathers will take me. Wish me luck!

No comments: